11 February 2007

Graduation

After sorting out my visa for Russia, I could turn my attention to the graduation ceremony in Warwick. Somehow I hadn’t had the time to get really excited about it, but as it drew nearer I started looking forward to it. I took the Eurostar to London the Sunday before graduation to meet up with some people there. I met up with Jens and Nacho for lunch and it was great to hear what was going on in their lives. After that, I went to an exhibition with Marlon (a friend from Leiden) and Jens on 20th century European photography at the Barbican, which I enjoyed a lot.

I managed to see Abe on Monday morning, which was great as he was not going to graduation but flying back to the US on Tuesday. Took the train to Leamington with Jens in the afternoon and ran into Hani, Hussein and Ali at the train station. After we arrived in Leamington, Jens and me met up with Rick, Roy and some others for a couple of drinks and food in Wetherspoons. Before heading to the Union, I dropped off my stuff at Eric’s place who was kind enough to let me stay with him. We hit Top B hard with a whole bunch of people and all in all I think it made for the best Top B ever.

Then came the big day on which we were to become Warwick graduands. The Arts Centre was packed with people trying to sort out their pictures, robes and tickets. I had lunch with Joris, his sister and her boyfriend, Dan, and Rick before getting myself robbed up and heading to the department for a couple of pre-graduation drinks. The ceremony itself was nothing special: boring and uninspired speeches, bad organ music, etc. Luckily I sat next to Oscar, which made it all a bit more bearable! The certificate itself was a cheap, thin piece of paper in a plastic folder, which was also a bit disappointing. But I ran into a lot of friends and took loads of silly pictures of people in robes and hats, so all in all it was still a lot of fun. We headed to Leamington for some food at an Italian place with a small group of people before hitting Evolve. The night got better and better: loads of friends, drinks, dancing and shannanegans topped off with an afterparty in Dom’s hotel room. I still cannot believe the hotel management did not break up the party as there were about 30 people buying beer from the reception and having a good time till early in the morning.

Wednesday was spent recovering from a big hangover. Had an English fry up on campus with Joris, Rick, Dan, and Jens, misbehaved like little kids in the Warwick Bookstore and killed some time in Coventry before heading to the airport to fly back. All in all, graduation was a fitting finale to a great year in Warwick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home