11 February 2007

Back to Mother Russia

Having just returned from graduation, it was already time to get ready to head back to Moscow. Packing my bag and sorting out all the things that still needed sorting out was made a lot easier with the help of my ever-caring mum. I got slightly stressed when on the morning of my departure my suit could not be found at the drycleaners, but eventually I got to the airport in time. Checked in, said goodbye to my mum and bought some chocolates for the people at the office and the family I stayed with (and will stay with until I find my own place). The landing at Moscow gave me a gorgeous view over snow-covered forests, as winter has finally arrived in Moscow.

The new driver of the office Aleksey met me at the arrivals. As we left the terminal, I was immediately hit by the cold (it was about –13 degrees). I first went to the office where I was greeted by some old and some new faces. Some colleagues left the company while I was away (which is a very normal thing in Russia where staff turnover is a lot higher than in Western Europe). Birgit, one of my bosses, immediately opened a bottle of champagne that was kicking about. It seems the tradition of having beers at the office on Friday afternoon had sort of disappeared in my absence, so I will have to make sure it is reinstated. Aleksey then took me to the Russian family where I had been staying last time. The two sons Ilya and Sasha were at a dacha of a friend, but their mum Svetlana greeted me with a big meal. Was great to see her and Gena, her brother. After dinner I went into town for some drinks with some colleagues and before going to bed I had some drinks with Gena and Svetlana.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home